If you are a believer in the age-old saying, “a picture is worth a thousand words,” then you will definitely want to learn more about the ever-increasing online marketing tool of VLOGing (video blogging). Video blogs can build connections with your audience unlike any other online network. Thus, it is of increasing importance to learn to incorporate video blogging into your marketing.
Below are some statistics about the growing capabilities of VLOGs, and why you should start video blogging now:
- 161 million viewers watched an average of 157 videos each
- 82% of the total U.S. Internet audience views videos online
- 10 hours of video was watched by the average online viewer
- Billions of videos are viewed every month on YouTube
- Facebook’s video section is predicted to become search engine friendly and surpass YouTube capabilities
- The #2 search engine is still YouTube (Google is #1)
To design a VLOG strategically, you need great content, a good sense of humor, interesting commentary, and a professional presentation.
To have great video content you need to cover topics you care about, but also get to the point right away—you have only 10 seconds to capture the viewer’s attention. Always keep your audience in mind when determining video length. Two and a half minutes is a good amount for delivering a story while still providing the viewer with a memorable experience.
How do you know the right topic for a video blog or web presentation?
- Start by choosing a small, specific topic for your theme that your audience wants to learn more about, then elaborate on three to four main points that belong to this theme
- By sticking to a few concise points, your audience will remember more of what you taught them, and be more likely to share what they learned from you with others
- Tell stories to make videos more personal, use a subject that is timely, and relate it to something that your audience is enthusiastic about so that, as time goes on, you will attract more subscribers
- Choose a great title that evokes your theme and captures the attention of your audience. (Crafting a catchy title will also help people find you through “organic” search (rather than paid ads) on search engines such as Google
To ensure that you have a professional presentation in your video content, set a design for your video blogging room that reflects content and how you want to express your story. Keep the energy of the set high-energy and magnetic by keeping it clean, using quality furniture or props, and high-quality audio. To create such a space, choose a quiet room with no external noises, and remember to capture good lighting. Make sure the source of light is behind the subject of the video.
Learn through trial and error as you create video. Post them online, observe the results, practice filming again, write better scripts, improve, and observe again. Try to aim to purchase professional equipment as you gain experience, as equipment is becoming more affordable and accessible. But to start with, you can make a lot of improvements in quality simply by following those tips.
Here are some helpful tips for public speaking, to help those new to being on film:
- Be confident and eloquent
- Practice brevity and clarity, and remember to speak slowly and rhythmically—even melodically—as you enunciate your content
- Study other videos and pretend you are watching as your own target audience to learn how to approach your presentations
- Be your own audience by practicing in front of the camera. Record yourself and then watch your body language. Look for how you can be centered, magnetic, and engaging with high-energy, without losing your calmness and focus.
- Emphasize points with gestures, facial expressions, and the overall energy that you are emanating
Don’t be afraid to start posting before you have all the strategies down. Know that it will take practice and some experimentation. Just do your best!
Because one of the main purposes of video blogging is to improve your online reach, it is important that your video is search engine optimized to to appear in Internet searches. Here’s how:
- Add videos to your own website or any affiliated blog sites
- Be sure to promote the publication of your video at the right moment and the right social context
- Learn the best times to post on the various social media sites according to your audience. (You can also learn this by trying different times of day on your own and seeing when the most shares and views occur.)
- Choose the right title and description when you post a video, based on audience keyword research
- Find out where your audience goes to watch videos and post yours there. (YouTube is a great option, considering its high traffic.)
- Transcribe the content of the video and place it as text directly below. Now you have a written blog and video blog to share!
As long as you share what you care about, you will succeed at gaining support.
 Shop around for the best pricing. And also consider getting a separate microphone and tripod to ensure great sound quality (very important) and stabilized video making (also very important!).
 Recommended WordPress Plugins for video include Smart YouTube to easily insert YouTube videos into your posts and Vipers Video Quicktags for spreading to multiple social media networks.